Monday, March 02, 2009

Matt Laffan

My cousin, my playmate, my childhood, my best friend, my confidante, my co-conspirator, my accomplice, my flatmate, my teacher, my inspiration, my awe, my idol.

I just can’t say how much I’m gonna miss ya.

Richard Matthew Laffan
11 September, 1970 - 1 March, 2009.






























Matt Laffan
Matt's website

News and Obits:
ABC Radio News, 2 March 2009
The Australian 2, March 2009
The International Herald Tribune, 2 March 2009
Accessibility.Com, 2 March 2009
The Sydney Morning Herald, 3 March 2009
The Daily Telegraph, 3 March 2009
HeavensGame.Com, 3 March 2009
Intenational Rugby News, 3 March 2009
ADCET
USA Today
Sport24


Some blogs:
The Chipolata
Pure and Applied
Cafe Grendel
Dreams in Colour
Backin15

Some history:
Coffs Harbour Advocate, 31 October 2008
Enough Rope, 15 March 2004
Australian Story Reunion, 21 June 2004
Australian Story, 26 April 2001



Oh, and the water recycling connection? Matt’s policy from his run for Sydney Lord Mayor in 2004, as reported in the Sydney Morning Herald:

Matt Laffan, independent Laffan, a lawyer with the NSW Department of Public Prosecutions, would convene a meeting to develop a planning strategy for the city for the next decade. He would establish council-funded precinct committees with a diverse membership.

Laffan wants a new land-rating system to provide landowners with incentives if they achieve environmental sustainability. He would also push for recycled water for every home. Sydney Harbour foreshore land should be protected. Street lighting would be improved, council patrols of parks and retail areas increased and the graffiti program upgraded.

He has also pledged a major focus on public transport development. Laffan will direct preferences to the Democrats followed by the Greens.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A man to be admired. A real mensch. I didn't know him - except from television. But how was I impressed! I love your post and your description of someone well loved and close to you. Matt is an example of how each of us should make the most of the abilities that have been given us and never to be fearful of taking a step into the unknown or towards a new experience.

naomi said...

Hey Stu, it's been a long time since I've seen you but I just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear this news last night. I remember Matt one night at the Sando, and he zoomed in on my mood and spent most of the night chatting me up - I've never forgotten how good he made me feel! He did so much for others, and loved life hard and I know how terribly you will miss him. My best wishes to your family, especially you and Marcus, at what must be a wrenching time. Love, Naomi

Anonymous said...

Nice tribute Stu.

MaryLou Carter said...

Hi Stu, Matt Laffan, what a man, he made a real difference and lived a full and fruitful life, in fact compared to some he lived two lifetimes. So many will benefit from the changes he made particularly to people's attitudes, he will be remembered.

Unknown said...

Hi Stuart,
Followed you here from visiting my blog, I am so sorry for your loss, Matt was truly inspirational. I can remember his kindness right from high school and his generousity of spirit always shone through, as you know he was telling the truth when he said after the 1st 5 minutes people didn't notice the wheelchair...we have some pics posted on facebook, a group for those from our year, let me know if you want me to send them to you. I hope your memories bring you some comfort over the following years without Matt, I know my life is richer for having known him, Peace, Kyles

Anonymous said...

Sincere condolences.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stuart, I'm sorry for your loss, and ours.
all the best, Mark

backin15 said...

Stuart, I'm also sorry for your loss. Matt inspired many, myself included and I'm very sad he's no longer around. My condolences to your and your family.

Post a Comment